So Howard’s people sent me a review copy of his book today. One assumes that reaching out to marketing bloggers was part of the launch strategy (I’m all in favor of that!) I was also interested to see copies of his book floating around Starbucks outlets (hey, if you have a massive retail footprint, why not use it?)
I confess I have not yet read the book but please check back for some deathless prose on the subject!
Here’s the blurb:
How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul
by Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks
March 29, 2011, Rodale
In 2008, Howard Schultz made the unprecedented decision to return as the CEO eight years after he stepped down from daily oversight of the company and became chairman. Concerned that the Starbucks experience had been compromised by its quest for growth, Schultz was determined to help it return to its core values and restore its financial health. In ONWARD, he shares the remarkable story of his return and the company’s ongoing transformation under his leadership, revealing how, during one of the most tumultuous economic times in history, Starbucks again achieved profitability and sustainability.
Schultz not only had to act fast and aggressively on a global scale, but had to look in the mirror, confront the company’s blemishes and search for answers to such hard questions as:
· How can you evolve your brand—especially an iconic one—to be relevant to a new age while being true to its roots?
· How can you grow a company without losing an intimate relationship with each customer
· How can you revive your employees’ passion for your company’s founding principles?
There was no easy roadmap and plenty of risks. From a leaked memo that exposed Starbucks’ troubles to the world, to the costly decision to close all Starbucks stores for a day of retraining, to introducing an aggressive pipeline of new innovations to land the next blockbuster offering, ONWARD takes readers through the tough decisions and painful steps of a turnaround that should inspire anyone to reinvent themselves and triumph against the odds.
Well alright then! Sounds like a page-turner. In general I am an admirer of Starbucks marketing, so I think I will make a valiant attempt to read it.
To show what a stand-up guy I am, and as a thanks to Howie for the book, here’s a link to buy it on Amazon.
- Video Book Club: Onward by Howard Schultz (scotteblin.typepad.com)
- Howard Schultz on Seattle and Starbucks (bizjournals.com)
- Jack Covert Selects – Onward (800ceoread.com)
- Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks, I think I want to marry you. (thegreenstraw.wordpress.com)
- Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz: Reinvented and Just the Same (dailyfinance.com)
- Schultz talks about Starbucks’ first 40 years (bizjournals.com)
- Making Starbucks Great Again (fool.com)
- The HBR Interview: “We Had to Own the Mistakes” – HBR (bjconquest.com)